Thursday, December 02, 2010

Choosing favorites is....tricky

In a conversation I had recently about our "favorite music" I asked my friend "What album would you take with you to a deserted island?" to which they quickly responded; and then the conversation trailed elsewhere.

My mind, however, has remained fixated upon the idea all week because I can't seem to answer my own question in a moment, or even after a few days of pondering. In an attempt to find my "Deserted Island Album" I have opted to create a "Deserted Island Compilation"; in the hope that whichever malevolent powers that would exile a person and give them such a daunting choice would accept this compilation as a pseudo-album and would allow me these few aural comforts in my exile.

Imagining the rest of my life with a mere 15-18 songs to keep me company was a bit like looking at my toes and trying to decide which ones I would miss the least should a few need removing. Do I choose the most nostalgic (by decade? by relationship? by genre?)? Do I choose the ones with the greatest lyrics so I will be always reminded of their inspiring messages? Do I pick only those real "hits" that made each of my favorite artists' musical career?

While I can't claim that this is the perfect line up, by order or selection, I did finally chose (out of around 10,000 in my iTunes library) these 18 songs which I felt could stand the test of repetition by offering technical excellence, compelling presentation and intriguing content.

Consider this project an exercise in thankfulness to the sheer vastness of musical brilliance I have been exposed to in just the first few decades of my life. While this mix would undergo a revision or two if it was indeed to be  "the last album I ever hear",  I'll settle here by sharing my "first draft" and leaving it at that.

On a Deserted Island - Draft #1:


*Most of these links will take you to video/audio of these songs if you'd like to take a music trip to my deserted island; the way I would. Enjoy.

No comments: