Monday, March 28, 2005

Leaving on a jet, er, uh.... I guess not

The weekend was not as expected, but this time the disaster of plans was not my own. Apparently the "political instability in the region" made it unwise for my brother to take his flight from Seattle on Sunday. Unfortunatly it took all of three days just to get the right people on the phone to find out what we could do about the already purchased plane ticket. It was a little stressful, especially with my mom calling every few hours 'just to make sure he's not going to get on that plane'. Uhg, sigh, "Ok Mom, I'm sure he won't" (my noncommital response).

So both of us returned to Montana today when it was supposed to be just me. Not that I minded the company, but I know how disappointed my brother is having his plans disintegrate last minute. It was hard trying to make the responsible decision based on the information he had, the people advising him, the purpose of the trip, the flexibility, or lackthereof in the situation. My gut feeling didn't really go either way, when I would ask God I just felt "let him get on the plane if that's his decision" and so I tried not to push him one way or the other. Thankfully he had the advice of our good friend who we stayed with who has a lot of travel experience in the past few years. I hate being the one always trying to tell him things, especially when it's news he doesn't want to hear.


We did have fun otherwise though. Saturday my brother, our friend Justin and I made the short drive up to Vancouver, BC. We walked around Gas Town, which is a cute part of downtown, ate Indian food, and then drove a little ways and went to the IMAX and saw Robots. We even experienced some genuine Canadian culture. We were looking for a place to get a drink before the movie because we had an hour to kill, so we crossed the street to check out the sports bar in the complex across the street. What we found was PeeWee Hockey. Each of us seemed to be drawn in, impressed by 9 and 10 year olds who could move on the ice as easy as they might walk down the street. For about ten minutes we watched and no one said anything about leaving. Then, after being impressed and entertained for a few minutes we recommenced our original search. Sitting up in the balcony with the Mom's cheering on their kids who couldn't hear them through the glass was a very classic experience. Yay for Canada!

Mornings on the farm start early, and Easter Sunday was no exception. We got up before chores and went to a small "sunrise service" that was held in a barn up the road because of the rain. It was simple and sweet.

Due to prolonged waiting for information about the ticket we stayed in Seattle Sunday night instead of driving to Pullman as I had planned. It was fun anyways though because I got to surprise one of my roomates from Denver with a call to invite myself over. That's that great thing about YWAMers, they're all over the place and they're always good for at least a couch and some breakfast. If there's one thing we all understand it's random travel plan changes and the value of a free place to stay. Catching up with a good friend is in no way second to that, it's just a beautiful observation I had to make.


That's enough of a post for now.

No comments: