Sunday, May 22, 2005

Chapter Closed

The wedding is over, the honeymoon well on it's way, my job is done. Bridesmaid adventure number one for 2005 complete. Congrats to Jessica and Sean Kuipers!

My friends have graduated, my ties and the season in which to keep them tied has run out. Goodbye Moscow, Goodbye Pullman. I don't suppose I'll 'see you soon' again.

In the face of all that has changed in me over the last four years I am at a loss to recount the rise and fall of the story, but after this time I feel that the chapter is officially over. My first 'other' home, my first year of 'on my own', my first apartment and a whole long list of other things I gained and lost (none the least of which included some unforgetable people). 18 months to begin, 2 1/2 years to finish. It's a place that's part of who I am, but it is no longer part of where I'm going. To my surprise I don't mourn the passing, even if there are a few things I would change.

I am realizing this year that life is full of new things all the time, yet it cannot only add, there must be endings to things before others can begin. I am sad that sometimes I look back and realize I have completely forgotten how some things used to be in light of their current status, but I'm determined to be without regrets, so I will try to remember and to learn.

Old but appropriate song for the moment:
"Closing time, one more call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer......Closing time, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here. So gather all your jackets, move it to the exits, I hope you've found a friend....Closing time, every new beginning is just some other beginning's end"
- Semisonic -

1 comment:

jake said...

nice